10 Foods Your Dog CANNOT Eat

It is easy to be innocently unaware of the toxic things being given to pets. But regardless, pet health is very important, so here are ten foods to know that your dog cannot eat. Consult your veterinarian if you have additional questions or if your pooch has recently consumed these foods.

Yeast

Yeast is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and is life-threatening. When ingested, it can give your dog alcohol poisoning because yeast produces ethanol. Yeast also causes their stomachs to expand because of the fact that yeast rises in warm, moist places. Not only will it expand, but it will continue to, so make sure that if your dog happens to eat yeast, take it to the vet immediately.

Alcohol

Alcohol can mess up your dog’s immune system, which will increase the vulnerability towards any diseases. It can also mess up the liver and the brain, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, and loss of body functions. Just imagine what alcohol can do to a person with a much larger body mass than a dog. Be sure to keep any alcohol out of reach, and keep water in the dog bowl.

Chocolate

While smaller amounts of chocolate are less harmful than larger amounts, chocolate is still nonetheless poisonous to your dog. The poison in the chocolate is theobromine. Humans can process it much faster than dogs. With larger consumptions of chocolate, your pet can suffer from seizures, muscle tremors, internal bleeding, or even a heart attack. A sign of theobromine poisoning is hyperactivity. Dark chocolate has a higher risk of theobromine poisoning than milk chocolate and white chocolate, but play it safe and stick with the dog treats.

Your Medicine

Spending much time on this topic is not needed. It’s obvious that chemicals and medicine and all that are mixed specifically for that sickness/human. Human medicine is different than animal medicine. Go to the vet and get pet medicine if needed.

Salt

Too much salt in the bloodstream can cause the muscles to shrivel, stiffen, and will cause the muscles to shake and jerk. The worst problems that come with high salt ingestion are neurological. This can lead to a coma and/or death.

Caffeine

Large amounts of caffeine can be poisonous to your dog. Again, for smaller dogs, it doesn’t take much consumption at all to have its effects. Symptoms of overdose include a rapid heart rate, restlessness, vomiting, and tremors. Keep an eye out for the things that could have caffeine. Coffee, tea, diet pills, and more have caffeine.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and Garlic can cause anemia, or red or brown urine. This could lead to organ damage, organ failure, or death. Another symptom of poison is gastrointestinal irritation.

Grapes and Raisins

Consumption of grapes and raisins can lead to heart and kidney failure.

Coconut/Coconut Oil

Coconut contains oils that can lead to an upset stomach, loose stools, and diarrhea.

Cooked Bones

While it’s always assumed that a dog is always safe with a bone, it’s not true for the cooked bones. Cooked bones will splinter, be a choking hazard and will be harmful to the internal organs.

It’s very easy to overlook health risks for your dog and think, “This is healthy for me, so I’m sure it’s healthy for my pet!”, but always remember that your pet is not a human, has a much different body mass, and processes things differently. Keep it safe and make sure to keep your pet healthy and happy!

By Staff Writer Erica Smith

2019-02-26T14:00:11+00:00

Leave A Comment