Dogs in the military have struggled over the years to earn their recognition as American heroes and the pack at Paws Pet Care, Louisville Pet Sitting & Dog Walking wants to recognize and give them the honor they deserve. Here are some fascinating facts about military working dogs (MWD’s):
- MWD’s have been in combat with US soldiers during every major conflict, but they were not officially recognized until WWII.
- MWD’s are trained in bomb, weapon and drug detection, tracking, and to attack the enemy.
- There are about 2500 dogs in active MWD’s in service today and about 700 deployed overseas.
- MWD’s aren’t all German Shepherds. There are many breeds.
- MWD’s can get PTSD just like humans.
- MWD’s mourn the loss of their handler and vice versa.
- Until November 2000, military dogs were euthanized or abandoned after retirement.
There are several ways YOU can honor the efforts of military working dogs, such as making a donation to a non-profit that helps to provide life-saving equipment for the four-legged soldiers or tends to the needs of retired MWDs.
Woof! We thank all our two AND four-legged heroes for their service to our great nation!